Traps are being put out and for it to be effective garbage must be put away!
To report a bear sighting in the city, call the toll-free 24-hour Wildlife Call Centre: 1-877-952-7277.
Remember, bears are actively trying to bulk up for the winter denning period and will take advantage of easy access to things like garbage, fruit trees, bird feeders, compost, pet food, and other attractants around our homes.
When people allow bears access to these non-natural food sources, they train them to associate people with food. Bears will lose their fear of humans and become “problem” bears. “Problem” bears are usually poor re-location candidates and end up being destroyed.
To help prevent these needless deaths and to keep our community safe, follow these Bear Smart tips:
- Store garbage inside or outside in a bear-proof container
- Sprinkle compost with lime
- Burn barbecues clean immediately after using them.
- Wash barbecues and store them covered up – preferably indoors
- Only put bird feeders out in the winter (birds have enough to eat the rest of the year)
- Remove fallen fruit from fruit trees immediately and dispose in limed compost
- Harvest fruit and vegetables as they ripen and store indoors
- Feed pets and store t heir food indoors
- Pick up dog bones in your yard
Bear in the yard? Call the 24-hour Wildlife Call Centre: 1-877-952-7277.