Social Development Program

The Social Development Program provides a variety of services to promote community well-being. The program:

    • Administers the Income Assistance program to people living on Reserve Number 11 (Campbell River Indian Reserve)
    • Facilitates applications for Persons With Disabilities (PWD) designation
    • Liaises with the Ministry of Children and Families to help on-reserve families obtain resources and support
    • Develops workshops and events to:
      • Reduce violence
      • Promote healthy lifestyles
      • Enhance employability
      • Support cultural healing

For more information, contact Social Development Worker Nicole Dumont at or 250-286-6949.

Income Assistance

The Social Development program of the Wei Wai Kum First Nation administers the federal Income Assistance program to people living on Campbell River Indian Reserve #11.

Application Process

  • Complete Application for Income Assistance – Form 901-27 line by line. If a section does not apply to you, write “N/A” or “None.”
  • Read and initial section 7 of the form.
  • Gather the following documentation (note, the Band’s receptionist will copy documents for you):
    • Two pieces of identification each for applicant, spouse, and any children who are part of the family unit. Each person must have a valid picture identification, such
      as a status card. The second ID may be a birth certificate, social insurance number, BC Carecard
    • Rental Agreement – signed by applicant and landlord – or Certificate of Possession (CP) letter
    • Recent hydro bill, copy of Telus bill, gas bill, or wood receipt
    • Canada Child tax benefit notification for most recent tax year
    • Income tax Notice of Assessment for the most recent tax year
    • GST notice for current tax year
    • Current bank statement for the previous month from applicant and spouse
    • Any documentation from previous income provider including Record of Employment or Employment Insurance (EI) stub or letter from Service Canada confirming that your EI claim and benefits are exhausted
    • Any documentation confirming Pension T4A for both applicant and spouse
    • Any documentation confirming Canada Pension Plan (CPP) for both applicant and spouse (if family unit)
    • Vehicle registration papers
    • Signed Consent to Release Information
    • Consent form from EI and Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation (MSDSI)
  • After completing the application, make an appointment to review it and the necessary documentation with the Social Development Worker. She will fill in the costs at the bottom of the form based on the bills submitted. Contact or 250-286-6949

The Social Development Worker will submit completed applications and required documentation to the Ministry of Social Development and Service Canada for income verification. This process may take as long as several weeks. This verification is required before any funding can be issued.

Please ensure you have a valid phone number or a message number on file so the Social Development Worker may contact you if there are any questions about your application or to notify you when it is approved.

After Approval

Once your Income Assistance application is approved, it is your responsibility to:

  • Fill out a monthly renewal declaration, verifying your need for income assistance and reporting any changes to your living situation, including income
  • Bring in current hydro bills if you are not on an equal payment plan
  • Continue to seek employment and attend all employment and training workshops as set up by Wei Wai Kum nation Social Development Department unless you have PPMB or PWB (Persons with Persistent Multiple Barriers or Persons with Disabilities) status

Persons with Disabilities

A Persons with Disabilities (PWD) Designation Application (SA 301) is provided only to new applicants or recipients of Income Assistance who intend to apply for Disability Assistance. To be eligible for disability assistance, a person must be designated as a Person with Disabilities by the British Columbia Aboriginal Network on Disability Society (BCANDS) on behalf of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC).

PWD is not a permanent designation and INAC has the authority to rescind an individual’s designation in exceptional circumstances.

A PWD Designation Application (SA 301) will only be provided where the applicant is financially eligible. This means applicants must first submit an Application for Income Assistance (901-27 form) with the documentation requested.

Contact the Social Development worker at or 250-286-6949 to request an application. It usually takes three to six days to provide an application package.


Click here to view the Income-Assistance-on-Reserve-in-British-Columbia booklet